Thursday, March 1, 2012

Things I have learned at 25.

My birthday is coming up soon. I am always surprised when my birthday arrives. Perhaps it has something to do with it being at the beginning of the month and I don't see the date coming up on the calender and I'm surprised when it arrives. When I was little and people would ask me what I wanted for my birthday in February, I would get very confused since my birthday wasn't until another month. I have realized over time that it's not really in another month. It's less than a month and they wanted to have time to shop for a present and have it wrapped and everything ready by my birthday.

The past few years, I just had not been prepared to turn whatever age it was. I just didn't feel I was suppose to be that old. This year, I have seemed to accept my age before it has even been placed on me. In regards to feeling a certain age, I think that comes to you over time. I certainly feel like I am more mature than I was a few years ago but when I think about people who are my age and have three kids, a husband and two jobs, I think, "No, I'm not really that mature yet."


Last year, I learned a lot of things. Some I already knew but they reappeared again this past year. Here's some of the biggies in no particular order:

- Good friends will stick with you through good and bad. They will not try to drag you down with them.

- Some people may be a lot older than you but that doesn't mean they are smarter.

- Don't work for someone if you don't have some type of contract.

- No matter what you say, some people are just going to do what they want and you can't ask them not to because they won't listen.

- There are those that think that they are the center of the universe. They will try to get their way every time. Once identifying these individuals, stay away from them.

- Not everyone that you think is your friend really is.  Some people just want to use you.

- Time management skills take...time.

- When planning for a wedding, there are a lot of expenses....and there's always something that you've almost forgot about.

- Sitting down and having a proper communication discussion with someone can help clear the air on many issues.

- Fear can be a great motivator and can push you closer to your goals if you don't let it hold you back.

- Certain things in life might just always make you happy. (One of these for me is The Muppets.)

- There will be those that will never tell you the truth to your face. Accept them as they are and move your life away from them.

- Your past does not need to hold you back. Do not dwell on past mistakes. They've happened already. Move forward and burn that bridge behind you. Make sure you remember the lesson you have learned and never make that same mistake again.

- Even though time has past, some things can still make you angry. Acknowledge it but don't dwell on the anger.

- Take time during the day to reflect inwardly on things that make you grateful.

- There are those that will always place the blame on others. Try not to spend time with them or else you will be blamed for things you have not done.

- Know your priorities. Try not to get angry over things that aren't that important.

- You can't be happy all the time. You also can't be sad all the time.



This is all I can think of right now. I'm sure there'll be more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment