Thursday, March 8, 2012

A look into my gaming history.


There’s a lot of blogs out there about all sorts of gaming. I know I’m not the first person to think of the idea to write about it. I wanted to think about things that would make this blog different...and well, that was the problem.

There are too many things in the game that interest me so I know I couldn’t narrow it down to one thing. My hope with my WoW posts is to cover a lot of subjects involving things that interest me or that I am curious about that can come together in one place.

First off, let me give you a little introduction to my gaming self.
I love to play games. Any type of game growing up was fun to me. I could play chess by myself or Rummy with a bunch of people and enjoy both.

Growing up, we had an Atari and then later a Nintendo. I enjoyed both of them, but I was really bad at most of the games. This probably had to deal with the fact that I was so young. I would watch my older brother play, sometimes with his friends, and really enjoy it. 


The first video game I remember enjoying.

In grade school, we would go to the computer lab and learn how to type on Apple computers. On our free days, we could play games on it like the Oregon Trail and a few others I wish I could remember the names.

 Ah, the memories.

Later, I got two hand held Disney games from the 90’s. They were fun until I got a Game Gear and then most of my gaming time was spend on that. It was awesome. For a few years, we would go to Toys ‘R Us and pick out a game for my birthday or for Christmas. I played on it a lot until one day it just wouldn’t turn on anymore. I still have it in my parents’ house, along with a bunch of the games that go with it.

It crapped out on me one day and I've never been able to get it to work since.

About the same time, I got to try out a Windows computer for the first time and ended up playing on what was probably the first version of SimCity. When we got our first computer, we got a CD filled with demo and mini games and I got hours of enjoyment from it.
This was one of those demo games. I never really understood the point of it.

 Not to mention, I also played on the games that came with the computer a lot too. I'm sure many of you remember this guy from that time period. I hated how he would jump up and down and taunt me after he just ate my skier.
What a jerk.

Years later, I got to play SimCity again on my older brother’s college computer before I got my own. I ended up getting The Sims for it and spent countless hours and late nights playing it in high school. 
 Everyone liked to play their Sims differently. I'll talk about some of my Sim stories later.

In college, my gaming evolved into a few internet games and then later to Facebook games but I really didn’t have enough time to spend too much of my time playing any games as most of my free time was spent on homework and napping. Now, living out in the real world with my significant other, I have gotten back into gaming again.
After watching them play World of Warcraft for a few weeks, I gave in and got a trial account while they were away on a business trip. It kept me occupied on the nights they were gone and I found it to be really cool. 

My first character was a Troll Mage on Draka since what is now our main server was down for maintenance that night. I played on her enough so that I could get her to Orgimmar where I then got so lost that I put her in the old orphanage (this is prior to the Cataclysm that struck Azeroth). I left her there, thinking it would be a safe place and that no one would bother me in an orphanage. Silly noob.

She doesn't look too bad for a Level 9.
I wasn’t really enjoying playing a mage at that time so I decided that perhaps I would go back to our main server and make a Night Elf. I decided to try a Hunter and managed to level her up to 20 with many, many blunders on the way. (That will be a different post entirely.) I tried out a Human Warlock after that but didn’t find that I liked it as much. After talking it over, I felt like I was ready to try out a subscription. After that, as they say, the rest is history. I now have played for nearly two years and learned so much from websites like WoWHead, YouTube videos and people I've met that I want to share some of the things I have learned while playing. Granted, I have not played for that long a period of time so I don’t have the knowledge that a lot of older players have (and the "when I was your age" stories) but I don’t plan on touching on a lot of heavy topics. I've raided most content in some form or other (Old World, LFR, guild raiding) and have downed most bosses on one toon or another. Try not to hate on me too much for still being a bit of a noobish player as I’m still learning some things in regards to my lowbie alts. For the most part, I think WoW has been an it enjoyable experience thus far. 


Oh and by the way, I’m a girl. Just in case you didn't catch that earlier. Some of us girls game just like guys do.

No comments:

Post a Comment