Monday, March 5, 2012

Like many cats, I enjoy yarn.

Over the past year and a half or so, I have taught myself how to crochet using the internet and YouTube. My first few items that I tried to make went horribly, horribly awry. I've undone most of them but I still have a red and black scarf that I held onto.

Exhibit A: 1st try at a Red & Black Scarf
I can see how and where I messed this one up but when I first made it, I wasn't really sure where the problem had begun.

Exhibit B: 2nd try at a Red & Black Scarf
A much better version of the scarf that is available on my Etsy.

I can get rather ahead of myself sometimes and so after making a few things here and there, I decided that it was time to move onto something big and I decided it was time for me to make a blanket. It would be lovely and I would put it on the bed and we would all love the warm crocheted blanket that wouldn't slip off like our comforter regularly does.

This blanket did not go well  I got about three balls of yarn into it before I could really see the curve that was forming on the sides of the blanket. It was horrible.

Cue me pulling out my work and rolling all the yarn back into balls.

I like rolling yarn. I find it rather relaxing...until my fingers start getting raw from the massive amounts of yarn going through them. I didn't enjoy having to take out all that work but it was something that needed to be done.

I've now started the blanket over and it is looking much better this time. It takes quite a while to just do a line, which was not something I was expecting. For some reason, I thought I could speed crochet when I had just learned the basics of it a few months prior. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to crochet a line but I seem to have been getting faster with time.

This was the blanket back in November.

It's getting rather large now and working with it on my lap can be awkward at times. I'm sure it'll get even more fun to work with the bigger it gets.

I know it's not perfect but it's main use will probably be for one of the beds in the house so I'm not trying to win any awards with it.
A look at the progress as of today's posting.

I got a crocheting book for Christmas from my future In-laws so I'm sure that will teach me a lot that I have probably missed with my YouTube and self teaching lessons.

I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to any of my crafts and I can tell when items don't meet my expectations. Since I expect others to have similar standards, those pieces that I don't see as up to par I have listed under sale items for flaws or because they don't meet my set expectations of them.

Here are some more of my crocheted projects I have done over the past year plus and you can judge for yourself.








No comments:

Post a Comment